Home » Solar » Mahagenco sets target of 125MW of Solar Power by 2012-Install 4MW Solar Power Plant in Chandrapur

Mahagenco sets target of 125MW of Solar Power by 2012-Install 4MW Solar Power Plant in Chandrapur

Mahagenco,  a power generation company owned by the government of Maharashtra, made a foray into solar power generation by setting up a 1 MW grid connected solar power project at Chandrapur which was a pilot project and the first in Maharashtra. 

 Mitcon had since  been appointed as turnkey consultant for the project and Moser Baer India had won the engineering procurement construction (EPC) contract for the 1-megawatt solar project based on a global tender, in which 20 companies took part. The project was  commissioned in consortium with SunEnergy GMBH, a specialised photovoltaic (PV) systems company headquartered in Germany.

The procurement price for a unit of electricityfor the 1MW was set at Rs 15, with the State Government contributing Rs 3 while the remaining will be funded by the Central Government through the Indian Renewable Energy Development Authority (IREDA). Mahagenco has implemented the project under Jawaharlal Nehru Rashtriya Saor Sankalp Yojana of union government. The project was expected to genrate  1.58 million units of power every year and it will be made available on power grid through 33 KV supply line.

According to recent reports,Mahagenco has set the target of erecting solar power project capable of generating 125MW of power in the state by 2012  and as a first step has announced the setting up of a up a 4MW solar power plant in Chandrapur where the existing 1MW plant is located. 

According to the report, Mahagenco officials said that two technologies would be used in the plant. Crystalline photovoltaic technology would be used for producing 2MW. Another 2MW would be generated using thin film photovoltaic technology. The first technology would require 4 hectares land, while the second would need eight hectares. The deadline for completing the project is June 2011.

Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA) will provide a loan for 75% cost of the Rs 52.52 crore project. The remaining 25% will have to be borne by Mahagenco.

The generation company has signed a power purchase agreement with NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam (NVVN) for selling this power at Rs 17.91 per unit. Mahagenco has also signed an agreement with Mahatransco for carrying 6.13 million units (MU) per year.

Further the report added, Mumbai-based Instant Energy Ltd and Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Ltd would construct the solar plant for Mahagenco.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Scroll To Top